Sunday, July 5, 2009

Embracing Culture, Memories, Prayer

So it has been two weeks that I have been in Spain and there is so much to tell! First off, happy fourth of July yesterday to all you Americans! Our performance for camp is this Wednesday and it has been, well lets just say interesting, getting things together. Yet we are still making progress and I think it will be a very cute performance. I have been taking flamenco classes at the school. It is so much fun! My roomate Kari described the experience perfectly, "Its like we are playing dress up." It feels like when I got my first pair of ballet shoes and danced around kitchen for hours! Flamenco is so emotional and saucy. I think thats why I enjoy it so much ;)

We also got to visit the most famous flamenco school in Spain! It was even more special because Lilli (my house mother) used to take classes there and teach. She hasn´t visited there for a very long time and it was so wonderful to see her face light up when she saw old friends. She reminised about the streets and the local restaurants she had spent so much precious time in. It was such a priviledge to go there with her. The school had such and interesting atmosphere and ironically enough the name of the school is Amor de Dios or in English, Love of God.

The culture is thrown full force at me here in Spain, we do say we are living the Spainish lifestyle, but without the siesta. Yet it has been wonderful giving my all to this camp, the children and this sweet family everyday. I am constantly blessed back a thousand times more.

God is good, I am doing well and am ready for another week of camp!
Please pray for :
Hector and Lilli (for rest and encouragement with the ministry at Aslan)
The children
The workers both American and Spainish (rest and to show unconditional love to the kids)
Finances
Safety (I am safe but have to be reminded I am in a different culture)


One thing about pictures: I can no longer post pictures ofthe children on my blog or anyother site because their parents did not release this permission. All the photos I have taken ad the other workers have taken will be on the Aslan website as soon as possible:
http://www.aslanperformingartscentre.org

STILL i will post pictures asap of other experiences in Spain whenever possible!

2 comments:

  1. Hi flamenco gal...I remember you in that photo I cherish of you at 6 years old in a casa de la cultura in Madrid where where we took you to join other children your age on a stage dancing flamenco....they ( You had a plastic red tierra mantilla stuck in your ponytail that we bought at a market place there and still have it in our hutch of many "treasures")All the little girls were all wearing their traditional satin polka-dotted costumes so familiar to THEM as little girls
    (just like you with a tutu in ballet world as an American 6 year old girl) THINK OF THAT NOW...12 years later you are playing 'dress-up' again..and saucy..yes, that IS yo0u...Remember RS said "that girl is Spicey"
    WE love LOVE LOVE you and miss you but not wanting anything but your joy there! we are praying for the children there and the ministry!
    My heart to you, MAMA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cara,
    As you reflect on what you might say to the children(young and older) as you say farewell:
    these thots came to me me today after reading from the book of James:
    You have a gift.
    You are a gift.
    As God has given you a gift, Give your good good gifts back to God.
    You get to translate.
    Christos El Rey (Christ is King),
    Charles

    ReplyDelete